Monday, December 5, 2011

Tis The Season...

I cannot believe it has been a month since I posted and yet again, I can. It has been a very busy month.  November was turkey month, since some in my home still eat meat. I cooked 4 turkeys that I bought on sale and cut the meat off and packaged it in the freezer for later consumption. We also went to the coast and bought 40 lbs. of fresh shrimp right off the boat for freezing in 1 lb. packages. I estimate we save close to $200 buying in bulk this way. We used 1/2 lb. lb of shrimp and caught about 10 lbs of fish, surf fishing, one day. I also took this time to restock my pantry, bulk ordering, whole wheat, hard red wheat, soft white wheat, soy beans, couscous, navy beans, cinnamon, and spelt pasta. I also bought a case of sweet potatoes. My husband and son took the muscadines I had harvested and froze in August and thawed and juiced them. This process netted about 25 pints of muscadine jelly, the fruit was free so it was the cost of the sugar, bulk purchased in 50 lb. bag, the pectin and seals. In January I will reorder almonds, coconut, and other baking supplies that I will deplete over the holidays
Coffee Scoops - Walnut
And large Cherry Bowl
Made by Appalachian Treeworks

       This year I have made a concerted effort to be frugal and shop small business for Christmas. I bought from Appalachian Tree Works ( http://www.appalachiantreeworks.com/pages/treen.php ) and Red Wolfe Gallery, some beautiful wooden ornaments, a dough bowl, coffee spoon,  and baguette bowl. From Creative Memories a family recipe book I created, and then I am working on some of my own crafts. I will also have a family calendar put together soon. It has been fun looking for alternatives to the main stream shopping mode we normally use. Every one of these things is American made too. I have had to be careful, in some of my small business ventures, because while they in themselves are a small business many of their items are not American made and I had a goal to buy only Ameircan to help keep more Americans at work.
       There are a few things that have krept under the tree not made in America, but they were items specifically asked for by an individual, next year I will try again, until we are 100% made in America. The thing is this has been one of my most enjoyable Christmas seasons I can remember. I have loved the beautiful handcrafted quality of the things I have purchased or made. I have enjoyed looking at the artistry of our culture and people. I have enjoyed learning new things and making things from the heart, instead of just buying to get it over with. I look forward to doing the shopping for next year and what I can find artistically, handcrafted for friends and family. If you have not tried this approach before give it a shot, it is so relaxed and enjoyable. It grabbed at my artistic side and allowed me to have more than the grab and pay experience. I honestly appreciated the craftsmanship of the pieces and things I bought or made for those I love. :) Happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment